Project Management Isn’t Enough: Essentials of Effective Sponsorship
Project management folklore (and PM product vendors) assure us that abundant spending on project management training and tools guarantees project success. Real world results disagree. While most organizations recognize a return on past investments in project management, many continue to be frustrated by projects that exceed schedule or budget goals, don’t deliver promised functionality or acceptable quality products, or fail outright. Was the whole “PM thing” more hype than substance? Has the ROI peaked? Will the next tool, method, process, or class solve the problem?
During his presentation, Payson Hall will argue that:
* Some projects cannot succeed as defined no matter how well they are managed, and
* Effective project management is necessary, but insufficient
Payson asserts the quality and availability of effective sponsorship can greatly enhance or severely restrict the effectiveness of project management practices. Sponsors establish project goals and organizational priorities, setting a context for project management. Sponsorship is essential for project success… yet poorly understood in some quarters and often difficult to secure.
This presentation is for project managers and sponsoring executives, providing practical insights to improving project success through better sponsorship by:
* Defining the Sponsor’s role and why it is essential
* Discussing how to ask for and encourage good sponsorship
* Exploring how effective sponsorship encourages more realistic expectations and better business decisions
Location & Date
Twisted Fork Restaurant 1191 Steamboat Pkwy Reno, NV 89521
4/25/17 5:30 pm