Establishing an informational context for effective sponsorship and guidance of projects
Project Sponsorship is a one-day course that presents participants with an informational context to support and direct projects within their organizations. Intended for senior managers and executives, who may or may not have project management backgrounds, this seminar provides a foundation for informed interaction with project managers in support of business projects. The foundation is built through a series of discussions, exercises and lecture modules.
At the completion of the training, participants will:
- Understand the three step project management process of Definition, Planning and Execution
- Recognize the importance of clear project definition to successful project estimation and implementation
- Know what information and work products to expect from project managers before, during and at the conclusion of a project
- Be familiar with typical pitfalls of project management and sponsorship
- Better appreciate the senior manager’s role in promoting good practices as well as sponsoring and influencing the outcome of projects.
The course is organized to build outward from an initial understanding of the project management process. Throughout this course, the role and responsibility of the sponsor in effective project management is stressed. The following topics are addressed in this course:
- Challenges to effective project management
- The role of the project sponsor
- The role of the project manager
- The project management process
- Key deliverables and review points in the project life cycle
- Typical pitfalls and problems
- Risk management, project cancellation and project failure
- Effective project sponsorship
The Project Management Institute (PMI®) has discontinued its Registered Education Provider program. People successfully completing this course may still claim 7 contact hours of project management related education.
This training is offered to classes of 12 to 16 persons (depending upon available training facility capacity) at a per student price of $450. This includes the cost of the training facility, refreshments and all student materials. Discounts are available to organizations that provide their own training facilities or enroll multiple participants.